|Flowers for Christine - backing|
|Flowers for Christine|
Another quilt that I am just thrilled with! This quilt top was made while participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (February - red). I used the red border fabric that I removed from Full of Wonder (see previous post) to make the flower blocks and I used the bonus triangles from sewing the flowers to make the pinwheels in the border. Now that's what I call scrap busting - use up as much as possible before it even hits the bin! I like this flower pattern so much that I do plan on making at least one more quilt using it.
I have been working pretty well non-stop during my free time to get some of my quilt tops turned into quilts before the end of March. I basted this little quilt on Sunday and quilted it and attached the binding on Monday. I started hand-stitching the binding down last night but gave up at 11:30 pm. I often wake up at 2 am and it takes me a very long time to go back to sleep so instead I got up at 2:30 am and finished up the binding. This little quilt finished at approx. 60" x 70" and I free-motion quilted it in a meandering design. I quilted it a little bit denser than I might normally because I had a couple issues with the quilt top. I have discovered that it is better to press the quilt top with starch before adding the border. The same red fabric was used for the border and binding. I quite like the fabric that I used for the backing - it is a soft green teal and is really sweet. I would like to keep this little quilt for myself but I will be giving it to my sister Christine instead. She did originally pick out the red flower fabric to go in Full of Wonder and I just couldn't use it so now she will still have it. She doesn't read my blog so I know this will be a surprise for her.