Monday, February 28, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge-Red Quilt Top


Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Red

Well I have finally finished the quilt top that I was making for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I did my best to use up all of the red that was leftover from the borders I had removed from the Full of Wonder quilt and I did a pretty good job of it. I still have some red left but not enough to complete the number of  flowers needed to make the quilt larger. The quilt top is 60" x 71" - large enough for a couch quilt or to keep at the bottom of the bed to pull up on cold nights. Most of the pinwheels came from making the flower blocks. I used the stitch and flip method and double sewed the triangles before cutting them off. I needed to make a few extra though to be able to go around the whole quilt. I really enjoyed making this quilt top although I have no idea why it took me so long - I didn't even get it basted or quilted! I don't have a name for this quilt yet, I guess I will think of it while I am basting/quilting it. I feel like I have been moving in slow motion...maybe it is the winter blahs. I am looking forward to March's challenge but I don't know if I will be doing a whole quilt. I already have several waiting for basting and quilting and when I get too many unfinished quilts they quietly yell at me to get them done.

12 comments:

blauraute said...

Your quilt is wonderful, great work!!! I hope you're able to baste and quilt it soon. What kind of quilting do you prefer hand quilting or machine quilting? - My top isn't finish but I hope I can do some sewings next weekend. As soon as possible I'll show you a picture on my blog.
Have a nice and cozy day in your sewing room.
Take care
Roswitha

Anonymous said...

Ellen ....it is beautiful..a small wonderful..you have such instincts for color and contrasts...
xo glenda

make.share.give said...

What a cute little flower block. What is it called? I'm not sure what to make for the March scrap challenge (I'm assuming it's green) and it could almost pass for a four-leaf clover.

Angelcat said...

It looks wonderful. I am in awe of all you fabulous ladies who manage to get a whole quilt top done for these challenges! :)

Quilter Kathy said...

It's so lovely Ellen...the border is terrific!
Don't you hate it when your quilts yell at you?!?!

Scrap - Happy Quilter (Ila) said...

It's beautiful!

Miss 376 said...

Amazing, great achievement for February's challenge

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Great quilt - what colour do you think for March....I am betting green but as I have too many green scraps am hoping for yellow!

Crispy said...

It's beautiful Ellen!! Red is always good in a quilt IMHO LOL. I'm with you, having too many tops to quilt is a bit annoying :0)

Crispy

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... fantastic job and that pinwheel border is ever so effective! Well done!

make.share.give said...

Thank you! I looked up Simply Charming on Amazon ($30)- am gonna check a few local stores this weekend. Happy March!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

All i can say is WOW! What a beauty! Its stunning! Who ever gets this quilt is very lucky! Love Sis