Sunday, February 13, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Red Fabric Frustration


Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Feb
Well I was off to a good start with February's red challenge but then I started thinking....(oh oh - you know what that means). I had 6 blocks completed and I couldn't decide what to do. I was trying to come up with a design I liked by combining other fabrics with my red but I could not make anything work. That red fabric really is my nemesis - it wants to be the boss and does not want to get along with anything! The only fabric I had that I could get to work with it was the light teal that I had used in the original 6 blocks. So now I had a major issue because I only had a small amount of the light teal fabric leftover from Full of Wonder. If I could not add other fabrics I would need much more of the light teal to make a quilt top. I am a somewhat practical person and if I am spending my time making something I want it to be useful (and hopefully look good) to me and my family. So after several days of unsuccessful fabric auditions and trial layouts off to the quilt shop I went. My favourite quilt store was having a 20% off sale so I consoled myself about my purchase. I found a fabric that works with the red and now I should get a quilt that will be usable for someone I love although I am still limited to the size by the amount of the red fabric that I have left. On Saturday, as soon as I got home from the shopping trip I prepped the fabric and started cutting it up. Today I completed 10 blocks using the new fabric and I have more blocks under construction. The original 6 blocks that I made are shown at the bottom of the picture. I plan on taking them apart and remaking them using the new fabric. I will really need to do some power sewing to get it all finished by month end!

8 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I don't think you need to take them apart...they all play nice together, just mix them into the layout. I think the blocks look terrific!

Cherry Red Quilter said...

I agree with Quilter Kathy - don't pull them apart just mix them in and everyone will think you are very creative!

mainer said...

ooo I like your block. What is it?

Miss 376 said...

Someone is going to have a stunning quilt

blauraute said...

It isn't necessary to be frustrated. I think you shall mix them. They are beautiful!!!!
Have a nice creative day.
Greetings from Germany
Roswitha

Crispy said...

Ummmm isn't a scrap challenge meant to be from your scraps? LOL

Thank goodness you went to purchase some more fabric so you are more happy with this pretty project.

Crispy

sophie said...

I love the block and like the others would encourage you NOT to pull anything apart and just keep moving forward. You'll find a way to make it all work and, when you're looking back (after the project is finished), you might see this creative hurdle as the happy accident that led to a great idea.

LuAnn said...

I agree with everyone else. I would just mix them in with the others. I almost never use all of the same background so I would probably mix in other backgrounds, too. I love that block you are doing. It will be a pretty quilt.