Saturday, February 19, 2011

Friday Night Sew-In - Seven Sisters

All Ready to Start
Is it wrong to be proud? I feel so proud of myself for working on this quilt top. I was really really hesitant to start the hand quilting on this quilt because all of the Seven Sisters quilts that I am making have great meaning to me - more-so than any of the other quilts I have made. This is the first one to be quilted and I wanted to do such a good job that I was afraid that I would "mess it up" or the pattern I choose would be the wrong one, etc. I love the stitching that I have done - no it is not perfect but I did my best.

Close-up of hand quilting
Hand quilting











I know that each of my six sisters will love and appreciate the quilt they receive regardless of the consistency of my hand stitching because they know the importance of these particular quilts...but I still want to do my best. Thursday and Friday were particularly difficult days so working on this quilt for FNSI was the perfect ending to the week. I find it very soothing and calming to hand quilt. I worked on this from around 7 to 11:30 pm and I got 6 fans done. My fans have 5 arcs and I am using a template and marking them with a tool as I go. I do hope I get faster with practice! Maybe all the other participants in the Friday Night Sew-In got a lot of work done too and that they are just as happy with their results.

8 comments:

Crispy said...

Your quilting looks lovely to me!! What ever teeny tiny flaws you think you see will be completely missed by your sisters. It's the love that they will see :0)

Crispy

Cathy said...

Wow! I'm impressed, not only with the very neat hand quilting, but with the neat and orderly basting, as well. That was always my least favourite part of hand quilting.

blauraute said...

Wonderful hand quilting. I love it.
Have a nice weekend and greetings from Germany
Roswitha

Impera_Magna said...

Your fans look great... love hand sewing but haven't tried hand quilting yet.

Brenda said...

Wow six sisters! I have 3 grown daughters and two are at odds with each other right now. Do all 7 of you get along all the time? Love the quilting you are doing a great job.

Shay said...

Love the hand stitching - You are very brave and should be justifiably proud. It's a lovely project.

Angie said...

Wow - Impressive hand quilting. Great job! I also have the circle cutter too - works great! Another successful FNSI.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love the Baptist Fan quilting! Your stitches look fabulous to me! Love Sis