Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bella Butterfly - Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks

Bella Butterfly

My sister Cheryl and our 15 year old niece Eva-Anne came for a visit and spent a couple days with me in my sewing room last week. My sister usually irons most of my fabric that I purchase for quilt-making (just gotta love her) and I had two large laundry baskets full saved up for her. While my sister ironed fabric my niece helped me with Bella Butterfly. She decided on the placement of each butterfly and arranged them on the design wall for me while I sewed them all together. Bella Butterfly is bright and beautiful and is big enough that I won't be adding a border to it.  I haven't decided which backing fabric I will use for it but once it is selected I just need to baste and quilt it. It was a wonderful collaborative effort and the three of us had a nice time together (although they do think I am a slave-driver!). Whenever Cheryl would take a break from ironing Eva-Anne would pick up where she left off.  In my defence I did let them out of my sewing room for short periods of time. We did do a bit of shopping too while they were here - we had to - my iron broke and there was still fabric to be ironed....Stop by Tea's blog and see the beautiful blocks that she and others are making from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazine.

Eva-Anne's Pillowcase

I had made a quilt for Eva-Anne (I will write a post about it sometime soon) last summer and I had some leftover border fabric still available. While she was visiting I helped her make a pillowcase. I must say that she really did make it herself - I just gave a bit of guidance and she did such a fabulous job!

6 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Your butterfly quilt is awesome! Your able assistants did a great job helping with the layout!

Cathy said...

That is a beautiful quilt! It looks fabulous!

Teaquilts said...

Love the buterfly quilt. The colors pops off the black background.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful Ellen, as all of your quilts are....is this one for our Bella?...Eva Anne is beautiful also....xo glenda

Crispy said...

Your quilt is beautiful as is your niece. It's great that you have "slaves" to do the fabric ironing...can I borrow them? LOL

Crispy

heather said...

I love that bright quilt!