Monday, January 3, 2011

Seven Sisters


Seven Sisters

Seven Sisters











I have six sisters (and two brothers) and around three years ago I thought it would be a good thing to make each of the seven sisters a Seven Sisters quilt. I wanted to make these quilts by hand and I thought I would have them all done in two years....and I was still working full time. How is that for optimism?! I also originally thought I would use as much fabric as I could from my stash and try to avoid buying more fabric (that is just so funny). Well at this point I have two quilt tops finished, I have the blocks finished for a third top and I have started piecing the stars for the fourth top. So I have made some progress and I did stick to the not purchasing fabric for the first few quilt tops but since then I have reconsidered that idea. This pattern is not a very complicated one but I did have trouble when piecing the stars because I often had a gap in the center of the stars. Although, I think I may have figured it out. Now that I have finished quilting my brother's quilt I will start on one of the Seven Sisters. I am a little nervous about quilting them because I am not too sure which quilting pattern would be appropriate and because I have limited quilting skills...but I also know that my sisters will love and appreciate them no matter how they turn out. The pictures do not really show the true colours of the quilt tops but they are close enough. I think I will at least make the backs and baste them for now so that they are ready when I am. As you can see my models had a little trouble holding the quilt top straight!




4 comments:

Rose Marie said...

Wow ... those tops are great and you only have 4 more to go ..... whew, already I'm tired! :o)

Still, that is a great accomplishment.

Crispy said...

Lovely quilts. This is a pattern on my to do list :0)

Did you hand piece the stars?

Crispy

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I love the 7 sisters, i can't wait to see which one is mine! Love much Cheryl

Impera_Magna said...

What a great idea! You're a fortunately woman to have so many sisters!