Thursday, January 13, 2011

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks


Butterflies
 Tea from Teaquilts has challenged herself and others that wish to join in to complete each of the 100 blocks in the magazine. I really wanted to join this challenge and complete all of these blocks but I know that it would really not be possible. First of all I don't have the skills to be able to create each block without a big learning curve for many of them and I already have such a big list of "Things I Want To Do" that I just couldn't devote all that time to learning these new skills. So, in my effort to join in, I have decided to make some quilts using quilt blocks from the magazine that would also meet the criteria of "Things I Want To Do". My first block challenge is #200 - Sew-Easy Butterflies by Darlene Zimmerman. I have changed my look a bit from the picture provided in the magazine because I have used black as my background colour and of course I am using different fabrics for the butterflies. I have only stitched 4 quadrants together into a block as a sample. I am just sticking them onto the design wall as I complete them and I will decide on the colour arrangement of the blocks later. It really is quite a simple design and so far it is stitching up without problems - other than my own seam allowance challenges. At this point my plan is a 6 x 8 layout with some sort of border treatment. I will decide on the border once I get a little further along. The directions use the "stitch and flip" technique so I am double stitching the corner triangles and I am getting really cute bonus HSTs. They may end up in the border......or not!

2 comments:

Teaquilts said...

I thought I wwas following your blog; I'll go look now. I'll go add a link for your posts. Great block that's going to make a great quilt. Love the black for the background; makes the colors pop.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

When you were telling me about the butterflies i did not imagine it this way. They are turning out very nice. It will really be a very bright and colourful quilt. Can't wait to see more....Love much your sister.