Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Brother Love

Brother Love
I finished the quilt for my brother at 11:30 pm on New Year's Eve so I squeezed in another finish for 2010. I really did need to get it done because I had already made the label and dated it Dec 2010 so I met my little self-imposed deadline. Ha...not bad for a quilt that took me a year and a half to make.  I started this quilt around July 2009 and I wanted to use an easy design because my brother would be visiting the first week in August. I really like this simple pattern - it is just one light and one darker rectangle stitched together.  The design for this quilt actually evolved as I was making it. My original design was to use only one white print and many darker prints throughout the quilt top and things went smoothly until I realized I didn't have enough white. I don't know what I was thinking because I didn't even have enough white rectangles to make the center of the quilt so I had to piece a few of them together from scraps. It was way too small so I started stitching the darker rectangles into pairs and I added two rows of them around the center and then I added the border. I wasn't able to machine quilt it in time for his visit so because I had missed my deadline anyway I decided that hand quilting it might be a good idea. My stitches are not consistent in size and many are crooked so I know I won't win any contests but I did it, it's done and I am happy with it and I know that my brother will be too.

This quilt measures 68.5 x 90 and was machine pieced and hand quilted. I stitched a smaller rectangle within each rectangle about 1/4" from the seams and I did free hand baptist fans in the border. I quilted the border from the outside in and it seems to have turned out okay. I attached the binding by machine to the front and hand stitched it to the back.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Crispy said...

The Brother Love (love that name) quilt came out beautifully. I know he's going to be so happy snuggling under it :0)

Crispy

Cheryl said...

I really like that you ran out of the white because i really like the way the darker ones ended up framing the lighter ones. It really looks smart! Love it!

Dresden Quilter said...

It is gorgeous. The design and colours are amazing.

Comfort Cove Designs said...

What a gorgeous quilt!!!!! I love it!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea