Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Full of Wonder - Learning a Lesson

Full of Wonder
I started making this quilt for my sister Christine during the summer this year. We had gone shopping together, along with a couple other sisters, and she picked the fabric that she would like for her border.

  







When she showed it to me I was a little flabbergasted because I couldn't for the life of me think of what would go with it. It is a pretty fabric but the colour options are very limited. I purchased a teal batik and a very light teal and then added fabrics from my stash and this is what I came up with. I have mentioned before that I really cannot visualize the finished product so I often have to make changes as I go along.

I really love the pattern - Shimmer - from American Patchwork & Quilting (Feb 2004). My sisters Cheryl and Sandra came over one day and helped me to layout various block combos and we decided which of my colour selections should stay or go. I had a great time stitching this together and while doing so I kept singing "its wonderful!" When the quilt top was finished I was so excited and I showed it to Cheryl and I told her how I had been feeling about this quilt and we came up with it's name.

Full of Wonder
Now the lesson part - when it came time to add the border I just did not want to do it. I tried every combo, different colours, multiple borders and nothing was working for me. I knew that Christine really wanted this fabric as the border - she picked it out! It was also the fabric that brought all the colours together. I was really torn because I wanted to please her even though it wasn't working for me. Finally I just said "whatever" (except I used a different word) and went ahead and added the borders. I ended up with a quilt top that I didn't really like (and I want to love every quilt I make) - the pattern/designs just didn't work together to my taste. Before finishing it I took it to Christine to show her and get her opinion....and she agreed with me. Her actual statement was "it's okay". So now I am going to take the borders off and enlarge the quilt by adding more blocks and I am much happier - the border fabric will just be the inspiration for the colour of her quilt. The moral of the story is you shouldn't do things just to please others you must really trust yourself and be true to yourself.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I really love Full of Wonder. The colors are so unusual together but to me they work. I love the pattern. I am looking forward to seeing what she will look like with new borders. Love sister!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful Ellen, and as Cheryl said, full of wonder...you are fantastic..right now I am saving up any cotton clothing I am finding at the right price and in good condition, at my favorite stores and maybe at this time next year I will be trying my hand at quilting something ...I think I would like to spend a day with you and get a begginers course on how to do it all first...lol...xo sister glenda