Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blue Eyes - Rainbow Scrap Challenge


Blue Eyes
This quilt has been named Blue Eyes. When my sister Cheryl saw my original post showing the 4 blocks grouped together she felt that she was looking into blue eyes and so now it has a name. I finished the quilt top and I really do love it but it is just too small - it's only 57" x 68". It may be okay for me to use on the couch because I am only 5' tall but my husband is much taller. Darn I wish I had more of the navy blue fabric so that I could make more of the blocks! I really do prefer to make quilts that are at least big enough for a twin bed. Oh well - at this point I may add another border even though I do like it the way it looks now. I have a night sky/galaxy print that is blue/black and starry and it could possibly work or I could add blue string blocks around the outer edge. I do still have lots of blue strings left in my bins. I will have to keep looking at it and think about it for a while. I didn't have too much trouble putting it together but I do see that my crumb square border is a little rippley. I used spray starch on the squares as I was cutting them and I am sure that helped it from being a bigger issue. I think/hope that basting and quilting won't be too much of a problem.

9 comments:

Elke said...

Hi Ellen,

I like your quilt in the way, it looks at the moment. But I can imagine it with another border or something like that. I am looking forward to see the quilt finished. And I'm curious how you made it bigger then. Good luck to you.

Greetings from Germany, Elke

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on getting your quilt to a finished state. The crumb border is beautiful even if it is a little ripply.

Comfort Cove Designs said...

those blocks make up a beautiful quilt!! Love the scrappy border!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Quilter Kathy said...

It's great! It would also be nice with another string border, but it stands alone as is :)

Melinda said...

Oh my gosh. I love the whole quilt but the border is fantastic. Great job.

blauraute said...

Congrations to your beautiful quilt!!! Everything is great.
Have a nice sunday and greetings from Germany
Roswitha

Lilian Pilar said...

Hola Ellen!!!
Thanks for your visit, I like the name you've made your quilt, "blue eyes", the Orrillo you have put me love, Congratulations!.
Hugs

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

It looks so wonderful. I really love it. Blue Eyes is a perfect name for a perfect quilt. Love much! your sister

Tamera said...

What a beautiful quilt! Blue and white looks so crisp and wonderful together.