Saturday, January 29, 2011

Blue Eyes and Bits and Pieces - Rainbow Scrap Challenge


Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes Close-Up Back











I have completed Blue Eyes and I really love it. It's my first finish for the new year! I worked on it during the week to make sure that I would have it done in time. It measures 57" x 67" and I machine quilted it with white thread using a meander design. I didn't have quite enough of the galaxy/night sky print to make all of the binding but I did have some companion fabric available that I used. The companion fabric has colourful planets on it so there is a bit of colour showing on part of the binding.


Blue String Blocks
When I was trying to figure out the border options for Blue Eyes I made a string block that I cut into 4 pieces. I really liked the look of it so today I worked on making more of the blue string blocks. I think I feel another quilt top in the making. I still have more blue strings and as I make more quilts I will add to the selection. I will not be in too much of a hurry to finish this top but I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.

I have really enjoyed looking at what other participants have been making. It's amazing what everyone can come up with from lowly scraps that others might not think twice about throwing away. I can't wait to see what February will bring with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

8 comments:

Angelcat said...

Blue Eyes is gorgeous!

Lilian Pilar said...

Ellen,
la manta Ojos Azules, esta preciosa,
y también disfruto mirando otros blog...
exelente domingo..

Ellen,
Blue Eyes blanket, this beautiful,
and I also enjoy looking at other blog ...
Sunday exelente ..

Char said...

I love your quilt Blue Eyes. I can't wait to see your strings finished! String quilts are always great and so addictive.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

It looks like you are starting another beauty! I love the blue strips. Fabulous!

Crispy said...

I LOVE the blue eyes quilt!! For a simple pattern it's very striking :0)

Crispy

Cherry Red Quilter said...

I love Blue Eyes! Great use of scraps!

Connie said...

Blue Eyes is beautiful, I've never made a crumb block. The blue string blocks are a great way to use up scraps, can't wait to see what you make.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I showed Mark the Blue Strings and he said that he really liked it and agreed it looked like pools of water. He was quite receptive to the string blocks. Love sis