Sunday, December 26, 2010

Quilts I have Made

I want to document as many of my quilts as I can. There are quilts that I have given away and for whatever reason I do not have any information. This really bothers me because each quilt I make means so much to me. I put so much of me into each one whether it is a quilt designed by me or one that is inspired by someone else's design. So I think that every so often I will make a post about a quilt that I have made previously and fill in as many details as I can. I don't know if you can print a whole blog or individual posts into something like a book or journal format from Blogger but I would be very interested in doing that.

Razz-a-Matazz

I made this gorgeous quilt for my niece Deanna in June 2010. She wanted a quilt that was really bright and that used black. She helped to choose the pattern as well as the fabrics. This quilt was paper-pieced and I got the pattern from an older  magazine - Quiltmaker's All-Time Favorites (Spring 2003). When it came time to remove the paper I visited with some of my sisters and my neice and we spent time together picking the paper off. It made a really boring task quite enjoyable. I didn't follow the layout in the magazine - I had to make it my own - even if it is just small changes. My original design for this quilt was to use the blue for the inner border and have the black as the outer border. When I laid it out it was bothering me so I switched them around and I think it looks great. The finished quilt measures approx 65" x 82". She also chose the backing fabric. It has a center of black/red/white Betty Boop design but there wasn't enough available for the full backing so she also chose an inner border of red/white dot and an outer border of small black/white check. I don't have a picture of it but it turned out just fine. It did take me a little longer to baste this quilt because I really had to pay attention to how the quilt top was centered on the backing. I quilted it using a meander design by machine and hand stitched the binding to the back. She is very happy with this quilt - I think she loves it just as much as I do.

1 comment:

Connie said...

What a beautiful quilt! I bet she loved it. Fantastic pattern that I'm sure took quite a while to make.