Saturday, April 5, 2014
These two blocks are Depression and Saw Tooth Star and I think they both turned out pretty good. I used precut triangles from my scrap stash for the Depression block and I used a 3.5" strip and 2" strips from my bins for the star block. The background fabric that I used for the star originally came from my SIL Wanda's stash and she passed away in 1998. I love it when I use bits and pieces of her fabrics in my quilts.
Pop on over to soscrappy's and check out the links for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. There is always so much inspiration to be found!
Thursday, April 3, 2014
A new quilt and a new Guild! I have joined another guild -The Moraine Quilt Guild - and so far my experience there has been fantastic. The first meeting I attended was yesterday and I had such a good time - everyone was so friendly and welcoming. They have a sit and sew that you can attend for a few hours before the meeting starts and I took good advantage of that time and started working on a new quilt.
|tower of blocks!|
This quilt has very humble beginnings....I had started making twosies from green and neutral 2" scrappy squares as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge last year. I got some made at that time and I continued with them yesterday. By the end of my sewing day yesterday, I had quite a few 4 patches assembled.
Today, I added 3.5" scrappy squares to the mix and then started sewing everything together.
|testing background fabric|
I had some trouble deciding on my background fabric...I didn't want to do scrappy so I had to choose fabrics from my stash that I had at least 3.75 yds. available. I made a few samples and then I chose one of them. I really want to use only stash for this quilt and I think I have made a pretty good choice. I still need to sew some more green/neutral 4 patches because as it stands I don't have quite enough for a full sized quilt and I will continue with that over the next few days. I am really happy with the way things are going so far with this quilt.
|The above photo shows the actual colour - this looks a little faded.|
Saturday, March 29, 2014
This morning I took part in the Sew n' Social function hosted by the Region of York Quilters Guild. The idea was to make 18 baby quilts that would be donated to the Rose of Sharon which is an organization that helps young mother's and their children. The quilt kits were already made up and provided to us by the Outreach volunteers. All we had to do was bring our sewing machines and our enthusiasm!
I arrived a wee bit late and I did take part in a lot of the social part of the function so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped but I had such a good time...I met more people and that was really good! I even managed to get most of a baby quilt top pieced together and I just finished it up when I got home. These really are baby sized and will finish at around 36" square.
|flimsy pieced by another Guild member|
Friday, March 28, 2014
The guidelines this month are the background fabric had to be green and the light fabric could not be white. We are allowed to enter up to 4 blocks this month. I am itching for Spring so I did both of my blocks with a purple contrasting fabric. The green in the second block looks a little yellow in the photo but it really is a very pretty green. As you can see the second block has much higher contrast than the first. As usual, the instructions were perfect and very easy to follow.
Pop on over to Block Lotto to check out the details. It is very easy to join and participation each month is not mandatory.
Thursday, March 27, 2014
I am very happy....I finally got my latest round finished on my Round Robin quilt. It looks so good in person but when I take a photo it really does not do it justice. I think it has an old world charm to it...really quite wonderful!
|close up of the latest border|
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
I finished hand stitching the binding on the latest two cuddle quilts that I made for the Guild at around 7:30 last night but it was already too dim to take any photos. I really like the way they both turned out but I especially like the yellow backing on this one and I love the striped binding.
I didn't achieve my goal of finishing the round robin quilt that I posted about the other day but I was able to get the fabric washed that I snagged from my sister's stash and I did get some of the piecing done. Unfortunately I didn't get it all done in time for my husband to deliver to my sister yesterday but that's not really a problem because I will probably be going to Toronto again next week and I can deliver it then. I did make good progress and I don't think it will take too much more time to finish up.
I am planning on spending a good part of my day in my sewing room today. Hopefully, I will get as much accomplished as I have planned but you know how that goes. There are just way too many distractions and detours to be taken!
Monday, March 24, 2014
I went back to my original idea and started making the zigzag blocks with the patterned neutral and I do like how it looks but I have just about run out of the dark green fabric that I am using.
I am going to visit my sister today to do some shopping and we also planned on swapping our blocks. I will pick up her block but she definitely won't be getting mine. Instead, I will shop her stash because I am pretty sure that she has enough of the dark green fabric in her stash that she can share some with me. I am confident that I will be able to move forward with my design and all will be well.
My husband will be going to Toronto tomorrow so if I can get right at it when I get home tonight I will be able to have my round finished and he can deliver it to my sister tomorrow. I still need to finish making the bottom section and then the corners (I do hope my corner blocks work out - fingers crossed).